Twitter Ads Policies
You can view available translations of this article by selecting a language in the bottom-right corner of this page. Translations are provided as a convenience, and are not meant to change the content of our policies. The English version will control and should be your reference in case of conflict between a translation and the English version.
This policy applies to all of Twitter’s paid advertising products.
Advertisers on Twitter are responsible for their Twitter Ads. This means following all applicable laws and regulations, creating honest ads, and advertising safely and respectfully. This article describes our advertising policies. Our policies require you to follow the law, but they are not legal advice.
In addition to Twitter Ads Policies, advertisers must follow Twitter’s Terms of Service, Twitter Rules, and all the policies on our Help Center governing use of our services. Please take a moment to review them.
Twitter Ads Eligibility
Twitter accounts must meet certain criteria in order to be eligible to participate in Twitter Ads and use our suite of advertising products. Learn about common reasons why accounts may be ineligible to advertise, along with steps on how to become eligible in the future.
Twitter Ads Approval
When advertisers on Twitter choose to promote their content with Twitter Ads, their account and content become subject to an approval process. The approval process is designed to support the quality and safety of the Twitter Ads platform. This process helps Twitter check that advertisers are complying with our advertising policies. Learn more about our approval process.
Prohibited Content Policies
Advertisements that violate any of the following policies are globally prohibited:
- Adult Sexual Content: Twitter prohibits the promotion of adult sexual content.
- Copyright: Twitter prohibits the advertising of copyright infringing content.
- Counterfeit Goods: Twitter prohibits the sale or promotion of counterfeit goods.
- Drugs and Drug Paraphernalia: Twitter prohibits the promotion of drugs and drug paraphernalia.
- Endangered Species: Twitter prohibits the advertising of products derived from endangered species, as well as the sale of such species.
- Hateful Content: Twitter prohibits the promotion of hateful content.
- Illegal Products and Services: Twitter prohibits the advertising or promotion of products, services, or activities considered illegal in a given jurisdiction.
- Inappropriate Content: Twitter prohibits the promotion of inappropriate content.
- Malware and Software Downloads: Twitter prohibits the advertising of malware products and has restrictions on software downloads that occur through our platform.
- Political Content: Twitter globally prohibits the promotion of political content.
- Prohibited Content for Minors: Twitter prohibits knowingly marketing or advertising certain products and services to minors.
- Quality: To ensure that users have a positive experience on Twitter, advertisements must adhere to certain editorial guidelines.
- State Media: News media entities controlled by state authorities may not purchase advertisements.
- Tobacco and Tobacco Accessories: Twitter prohibits the promotion of tobacco products, accessories, and brands.
- Trademark: Twitter prohibits the advertising of trademark infringing content.
- Unacceptable Business Practices: Twitter prohibits the promotion of unacceptable business practices.
- Weapons and Weapon Accessories: Twitter prohibits the promotion of weapons and weapon accessories.
Restricted Content Policies
Twitter allows the promotion of products or services in the following categories with certain restrictions:
- Alcohol Content: Twitter restricts the promotion of online and offline sale of alcohol and general awareness of alcohol brands. Restrictions are based on the specific product or service being promoted, as well as the country that the campaign is targeting.
- Cause-based Advertising: Twitter restricts the promotion of and requires advertiser certification for ads that educate, raise awareness, and/or call for people to take action in connection with civic engagement, economic growth, environmental stewardship, or social equity causes.
- Financial Products and Services: Twitter permits the promotion of financial services and related content with restrictions. Restrictions are based on the specific product or service being promoted, as well as the country that the campaign is targeting.
- Gambling Content: Twitter prohibits the promotion of gambling content, except for campaigns targeting specified countries where it's allowed with restrictions.
- Health and Pharmaceutical Products and Services: Twitter restricts the promotion of health and pharmaceutical products and services. Restrictions are based on the specific product or service being promoted, as well as the country that the campaign is targeting.
Note: Certain industries and trade associations have their own self-regulatory codes for advertising and marketing. Advertisers on Twitter who are members of these associations should refer to these codes, in addition to Twitter's policies, for guidance on appropriate advertising practices.
Example: Advertisers in the UK should be aware of additional marketing regulations that may apply. Further information that may be found useful is available in the CAP Code and the resources provided by the Advertising Standards Authority.
Twitter Ads offboarding
Twitter follows processes and principles when removing advertisers from the Twitter Ads platform. We call this process “offboarding,” and we strive to make it as transparent and seamless as possible for everyone involved. Learn more about offboarding.