This policy applies to monetization on X and X’s paid advertising products.
What’s the policy?
X prohibits the promotion of tobacco products, accessories, and brands globally.
Examples of tobacco products, accessories, and branding include:
- Tobacco of any kind, including chewing tobacco and imitations
- All cigarettes, including alternatives which imitate the act of smoking
- Tobacco pipes, rolling papers, and filters
- Cigar bars and hookah lounges
- Tobacco manufacturers
- Events sponsored by tobacco manufacturers
How does this policy vary from Country to Country
This is a global prohibition, except for the country specific exemptions below and in context of corporate social responsibility advertising campagins. Advertisers must obtain pre-approval to run Tobacco CSR ads by first getting certified.
We permit approved tobacco advertisers to target the following countries:
- Africa: Angola, Burundi, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Malawi, Mayotte, Mozambique, Namibia, Reunion, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, Tanzania, Zambia, Zimbabwe
- Asia Pacific: American Samoa, Antarctica, Australia, Azerbaijan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, British Indian Ocean Territory, Brunei, Cambodia, China, Christmas Island, Cocos (Keeling) Islands, Cook Islands, Fiji, Guam, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Israel, Japan, Macau, Malaysia, Maldives, Marshall Islands, Nauru, New Caledonia, New Zealand, Norfolk Island, Northern Mariana Islands, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Pitcairn, Samoa, Singapore, Solomon Islands, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Thailand, Timor Leste, Tokelau, Tonga, Tuvalu, United States Minor Outlying Islands, U.S. Virgin Islands, Vanuatu, Wallis and Futuna
- Europe: Albania, Andorra, Armenia, Belarus, Belgium, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Estonia, Faroe Islands, French Southern Territories, Georgia, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Guernsey, Heard Island and McDonald Islands, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Isle of Man, Italy, Jersey, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Malta, Monaco, Montenegro, Poland, Romania, Republic of North Macedonia, Saint Helena, Ascension and Tristan Da Cunha, San Marino, Serbia, Svalbard and Jan Mayen, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, Vatican City
- Latin America: Anguilla, Aruba, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, Bonaire, Saint Eustatius and Saba, Brazil, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Chile, Colombia, Curacao, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Falkland Islands, French Guiana, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Martinique, Montserrat, Nicaragua, Peru, Saint Barthelemy, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Pierre and Miquelon, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos
- Middle East: Egypt, Kazakhstan, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, Western Sahara, Yemen
- North America: Canada, Greenland, United States
Advertisements are subject to the following restrictions:
Advertisers are responsible for complying with all applicable laws, regulations, and advertising guidelines.
Advertisers may not target customers under the age of 21
Only corporate social responsibility campaigns are allowed.
Any advertisement that is allowed, subject to the above restrictions, must in addition:
Not promote their brands and/or show tobacco related products.
Not make false/misleading claims
Not depict use or consumption of tobacco.
What other X resources relate to this policy?
Prohibited content for minors
What do advertisers need to know about this policy?
Review our guidelines and make sure you understand the requirements for your brand and business. You are responsible for all your promoted content on X. This includes complying with applicable laws and regulations regarding advertisements.
If you are an advertiser whose account or posts are under review and you would like to check on the status or request an expedited review, please log in to ads.x.com and file a support ticket using the Help button in the top right corner of your ads dashboard.