This policy applies to all of Twitter’s paid advertising products.
Advertisers on Twitter are responsible for their Twitter Ads. This means following all applicable laws and regulations, creating honest ads, and advertising safely and respectfully. This article describes our advertising policies. Our policies require you to follow the law, but they are not legal advice.
In addition to Twitter Ads Policies, advertisers must follow Twitter’s Terms of Service, Twitter Rules, and all the policies on our Help Center governing use of our services. Please take a moment to review them.
When advertisers on Twitter choose to promote their content with Twitter Ads, their account and content become subject to an approval process. The approval process is designed to support the quality and safety of the Twitter Ads platform. This process helps Twitter check that advertisers are complying with our advertising policies. Learn more about our approval process.
- Automation rules: This page is primarily intended for developers.
- Account eligibility for Twitter Ads: Twitter accounts must meet certain criteria in order to be eligible to participate in Twitter Ads and use our suite of advertising products. Learn about common reasons why accounts may be ineligible to advertise, along with steps on how to become eligible in the future.
- Age and gender targeting limitations: If you have a business or legal requirement to target based on age or gender, you must opt out of utilizing the Twitter Audience Platform (TAP) placement option. As a result of Apple’s App Tracking Transparency framework, Twitter will no longer apply Age and Gender targeting across TAP to iOS devices that have chosen not to opt in to tracking via the App Tracking Transparency prompt. You are ultimately responsible for all your promoted content on Twitter.
- Anti-Discriminatory Targeting Policy
- Housing, Employment and Lending Opportunities
- Illegal products and services: Twitter prohibits the advertising or promotion of products, services, or activities considered illegal in a given jurisdiction.
- Targeting Sensitive Categories Policy
- URL requirements for advertising: Twitter globally prohibits the promotion of URLs (links) within promoted content that create a disruptive or misleading customer experience. These requirements are in place to ensure that customers have a positive customer experience with ads on Twitter.
Ads Content Policies
- Adult Sexual Content: Twitter prohibits the promotion of adult sexual content.
- Alcohol Content: Twitter restricts the promotion of online and offline sale of alcohol and general awareness of alcohol brands. Restrictions are based on the specific product or service being promoted, as well as the country that the campaign is targeting.
- Cause-based Advertising: Twitter restricts the promotion of and requires advertiser certification for ads that educate, raise awareness, and/or call for people to take action in connection with civic engagement, economic growth, environmental stewardship, or social equity causes.
- Copyright: Twitter prohibits the advertising of copyright infringing content.
- Counterfeit Goods: Twitter prohibits the sale or promotion of counterfeit goods.
- Drugs and Drug Paraphernalia: Twitter prohibits the promotion of drugs and drug paraphernalia.
- Endangered Species: Twitter prohibits the advertising of products derived from endangered species, as well as the sale of such species.
- Financial Products and Services: Twitter permits the promotion of financial services and related content with restrictions. Restrictions are based on the specific product or service being promoted, as well as the country that the campaign is targeting.
- Gambling Content: Twitter prohibits the promotion of gambling content, except for campaigns targeting specified countries where it's allowed with restrictions.
- Hateful Content: Twitter prohibits the promotion of hateful content.
- Healthcare: Twitter restricts the promotion of health and pharmaceutical products and services. Restrictions are based on the specific product or service being promoted, as well as the country that the campaign is targeting.
- Inappropriate Content: Twitter prohibits the promotion of inappropriate content.
- Malware and Software Downloads: Twitter prohibits the advertising of malware products and has restrictions on software downloads that occur through our platform.
- Political Content: Twitter globally prohibits the promotion of political content.
- Prohibited Content for Minors: Twitter prohibits knowingly marketing or advertising certain products and services to minors.
- Quality: To ensure that customers have a positive experience on Twitter, advertisements must adhere to certain editorial guidelines.
- State Media: News media entities controlled by state authorities may not purchase advertisements.
- Tobacco and Tobacco Accessories: Twitter prohibits the promotion of tobacco products, accessories, and brands.
- Trademark: Twitter prohibits the advertising of trademark infringing content.
- Unauthorized Ticket Sales: Twitter prohibits the promotion of unauthorized ticket sales globally.
- Unacceptable Business Practices: Twitter prohibits the promotion of unacceptable business practices.
- Weapons and Weapon Accessories: Twitter prohibits the promotion of weapons and weapon accessories.
Note: Certain industries and trade associations have their own self-regulatory codes for advertising and marketing. Advertisers on Twitter who are members of these associations should refer to these codes, in addition to Twitter's policies, for guidance on appropriate advertising practices.
Example: Advertisers in the UK should be aware of additional marketing regulations that may apply. Further information that may be found useful is available in the CAP Code and the resources provided by the Advertising Standards Authority.
Twitter Ads offboarding
Twitter follows processes and principles when removing advertisers from the Twitter Ads platform. We call this process “offboarding,” and we strive to make it as transparent and seamless as possible for everyone involved. Learn more about offboarding.
Twitter Ads Policy Update Log
This log will reflect policy changes impacting what is and is not permitted to be advertised via Twitter Ads.