What's the policy?
The advertising of financial products and services is restricted and subject to certain globally applicable rules. For restrictions which may be applicable per jurisdiction, please refer to the country specific policies section below. Please note that this list is not exhaustive.
The advertising of the following is prohibited globally:
- Payday loans, cash loans, and P2P*
- Cryptocurrency initial coin offerings (ICOs)
- Cryptocurrency token sales
- Binary options
- Bail bonds
*Indonesia permits P2P lending. Refer to the country specific policy below.
The advertising of the following is restricted globally (please note that this list is not exhaustive):
- Banking services and banking institutions
- Loan products and services
- Mobile and electronic payments
- Mortgages and related services, including debt relief or assistance services
- Investment advice, investment opportunities, and offers to increase wealth
- Insurance products and services
- Currency exchange, trading, and related services
- Cryptocurrency exchanges*
- Cryptocurrency "hot" wallets*
*Cryptocurrency exchanges and/or cryptocurrency wallet services provided by a public company listed on a major stock market may target permitted countries subject to local laws. Contact Twitter if you are interested in these options.
Advertisement for financial products and services must:
- Comply with all applicable laws, provide necessary disclosures, balanced information of risks and benefits, and all information that must be provided to the investor
- Be clearly identified as financial services
- Indicate the nature and specific type of financial service
How does this policy vary from country to country?
Advertisements for financial services and related content are permitted only when targeting the countries below:
- Africa and Middle East: Egypt, Ghana, Kenya, Kuwait, Morocco, Nigeria, Oman*, Pakistan, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Tanzania, Uganda, United Arab Emirates, Zambia
- Asia Pacific: Australia, Hong Kong*, India, Indonesia, Japan*, Malaysia, New Zealand, Philippines, Russia, Singapore*, South Korea*, Thailand
- Europe: Austria, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, France, Germany, Greece, Finland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Macedonia, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovenia, Serbia, Spain, Switzerland, Sweden, Turkey, UK and jurisdictions, Ukraine
- Latin America: Argentina, Aruba, The Bahamas, Barbados, Bermuda, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Curacao, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Jamaica, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Peru, Trinidad & Tobago, Uruguay, Venezuela
- North America: Canada, U.S.
*Advertisers targeting these countries are only allowed with prior authorization from Twitter. Contact Twitter if you are interested in this option.
The following are additional restrictions on financial products and services that apply for certain countries:
- Advertisers wishing to promote securities products must hold licenses from the appropriate licensing authorities.
- Advertisers may only target Colombia if their business is based in Colombia.
- Promotion of insurance products and services is prohibited.
- Financial aggregators are prohibited.
- Contact Twitter if you are interested in these options.
- Promotion of securities is prohibited.
- Peer to peer lending is permitted as long as they are authorized by Otoritas Jasa Keuangan (OJK).
- Contact Twitter if you are interested in this option.
- Money service business or information which may lead directly or indirectly to a transaction relating to a money services business is prohibited.
- Promotion of securities and investment schemes are prohibited.
- Promotion of any form of financial speculation, intended to promote or attract interest in stocks and shares is prohibited, except for ads related to newly approved IPOs.
- Advertisers can only target Mexico if their business is based in Mexico.
- Advertisements targeting Russia must be in the Russian language.
- Advertisements targeting Slovenia must be in the Slovenian language.
- Advertisers may only target Venezuela if their business is based in Venezuela.