Why should I use an engagements campaign?
Engagement campaigns allow you to extend the reach of your content to a relevant audience on X. You can promote Tweets that are published organically or choose to create posts that are only promoted to the audiences you target. You only pay when users you target engage with your content. Impressions that don’t generate engagement are free.
Below are a few simple questions to ask yourself as you set up your first campaign.
- What results do I want to see from the campaign? If you want to drive brand equity, offline sales, or engagements, include interesting content along with a call-to-action. If you want reposts and to start a conversation, include interesting content to inspire them to share with their followers.
- Do I want people to engage with my content? Use interest and @name to target X users based off what you know about your customers. Use keyword targeting to find users that search for or post about a specific term. Research shows that engagement is correlated with brand lift and offline sales.
- How much should I budget for each campaign? Your targeting and bid will determine your budget. Use the campaign estimator tool in the ads dashboard to estimate reach. Make sure you allocate enough budget to allow for the number of engagements you want to see from your campaign.
- How much am I willing to pay for each engagement? Think about your goals when you decide how much you want to spend on each engagement. Determine how much value you place on each of these behaviors and set your bid accordingly. Use campaign analytics to determine what’s working best and build on that.
When should I use an engagements campaign?
Ads promoted through engagement campaigns, also known as Promoted Ads, are just like regular posts - with the added bonus that they can reach more people who are interested in your business. They should be used to place your best content in front of the audience that matters to you at the right time.
Engagement campaigns are a great place to promote engaging content. Using engagement campaigns, you can:
- Feature new product launches or product benefits
- Associate your brand with events happening in the world around you
- Foster dialogue between you and your customers
If your goal is to drive awareness for your business, engagement campaigns can do this in a variety of ways:
- Expand the reach of your content like blog posts, white papers, and more
- Connect with influencers and brand advocates by ensuring they see your content
- Promote awareness around events and product launches
- Ask for reposts to gain an even broader audience for your messages
How much do engagements campaigns cost?
X’s cost-per-action pricing ensures you only pay for the specific actions you are looking to drive.
When you run a engagements campaign, you'll only be charged for the engagements you acquire from that campaign. Impressions that don't result in an engagement are free.
The cost you pay per engagement depends on your budget and bid, as well as the targeting you select. You'll receive real-time bid guidance based on your targeting in your campaign setup. More on X Ads pricing.
When setting up your engagements campaign, you can select between automatic or maximum bidding as your bid type. We suggest selecting the automatic bid option since this automatically bids on your behalf, maximizing your campaign's chance to serve. If you choose maximum bid when you set up your campaign and input your bid, think of your max bid as how much you're willing to pay per engagement. Remember, an engagement counts as all clicks on your post, including reposts, replies, likes, poll votes, and hashtag clicks.
It's important to think carefully about the value each engagement brings to your business. The recommended bid is a good indicator of the amount you will need to bid for your campaign to reach its goal. You will never be charged more than your bid and advertisers are often charged less. However, if your bid is not competitive relative to other advertisers, your campaign may not serve.
In addition to controlling the amount you pay per action, you also have complete control over the amount you spend overall. After setting your bid, you are prompted to enter a total budget for the campaign and, optionally, a daily budget as well. When your overall budget is reached, your campaign will stop serving until you increase the budget. When your daily budget is reached, your campaign will stop serving until the next day.
What types of posts can I use in my engagements campaign?
There are no technical limitations on the post types you can use in the engagements objective. Check out our specs page to see all available post types.
Remember, no matter what type of post you use, you'll always be billed on engagements, or all clicks on your post, including reposts, replies, likes, poll votes, and hashtag clicks.
All advertisers and their Promoted Ads content must comply with our X Ads policies.