Start with one of the goals below
You can create multiple campaigns to suit each of your business goals.
Drive app installs or engagements
Since 78% of Twitter’s users access the platform from a mobile device, mobile application developers have a huge opportunity to reach a relevant audience.* To boost your app installs and engagements, we’ve made it easy to create campaigns that let people download and open your mobile app from directly within your Tweets.
*Twitter internal data, 2014
To drive users to your mobile app, you’ll be creating an App installs or engagements campaign. In these types of campaigns, you’ll create an App Card that will be promoted to a targeted group of users.
The App Card is a powerful creative ad unit that allows users to preview an image of your app, a rating and a call to action in their timeline. Users can install or open the app directly within the Tweet. To ensure you’re reaching an audience that’s ready to engage, App Cards will only be shown when a user is looking at Twitter on their mobile device. Click through below to learn more.
The App Card enables you to share more context with users so that you can convince them to click-through and download, or open, your app. To make the most of this opportunity, craft Tweet copy that clearly communicates your value proposition and choose a relevant image.
Take a test and learn approach by creating several Cards for your campaign that include different combinations of images and Tweet copy. You can monitor your Campaigns dashboard to see which Card is driving the most engagement and the lowest cost-per-install or engagement. Then you can use this information to adjust as you go and create more effective campaigns in the future.
You probably had a specific audience in mind when you designed your mobile application. To help you connect with that audience, we offer several different ways to target users on Twitter.
Target based on:
Interests: Connect with Twitter users based on their passions. Scale your reach with over 350 interest categories. This is a great option when you want to target more broadly.
Keywords: Reach people that search, Tweet about or engage with specific keywords. Deliver messages to users in the right moment based on what they’ve recently Tweeted or engaged with in Tweets.
Followers: Reach people with specific interests or who are similar to followers of specific accounts. This is the recommended option when you’re looking to target a niche audience.
Television: Reach people that search, Tweet about or engage with specific keywords. Deliver messages to users in the right moment based on what they’ve recently Tweeted or engaged with in Tweets.
Device: Target users based on the device they’re using to access Twitter. You can choose by OS version, device and WiFi connectivity – we’ll ensure that you only target devices that are compatible with your app.
Geography and language: Connect with a global audience or narrow the reach of your campaign to a specific country, state or even zip code. If you have language-specific messaging, you can also reach people who Tweet in that particular language.
Gender: Tailor a specific message to men or women to increase relevance.
Or you can reach users on Twitter who you currently market to via other channels. With Tailored Audiences, you can use your own CRM lists to target these groups with a specific message.
- App Cards are priced on a cost-per-click basis, meaning you’ll only pay when someone clicks on your App Card.
- Set a daily and total budget for your campaign. Your campaign will end once your budget has been met, so you’ll never be charged more than you want to pay.
- Twitter Ads work on an auction model, which means that you’re bidding on access to your target audience. When you win the auction, you’ll only pay slightly more than the next highest bidder.
- Consider how much you value a click on your app, then set your bid accordingly. As you adjust your bid, you’ll be able to see an estimate of how many people in your target audience you’ll reach with the campaign.
- Remember: starting a paid campaign will never interfere with the way you’re already Tweeting to engage your followers. You’ll never be charged for this organic activity on Twitter.
Take advantage of Twitter’s real-time analytics to find data-driven insights that you can use to grow your business.
- The Campaigns dashboard will show you a variety of metrics related to your app install or engagement campaign, such as the number of times users see your Tweets, the number of times users install or open your app, and your cost-per-click (CPC).
- The conversion tracking that ties your App Card to a user’s action of installing or opening your app is currently done via third-party tracking SDKs.
- You can monitor engagement metrics for all of your Tweets, both paid and unpaid, in the Tweet activity dashboard.
With millions of apps competing in the marketplace, driving app installs may be an important goal for your business. Even after users have downloaded your app, repeated engagements can help keep your business, and your app, top of mind. To help you envision some real-life use cases, here are some examples of how and why other businesses used Twitter to drive installs and engagement.
Our ads support and developer articles can help answer your technical questions:
- Create an App installs or app engagements campaign
- Setting up App Cards
- What is mobile app promotion?
- Cards for mobile developers
Get more relevant insights to inform your Twitter strategy:
Ready to get started?
Our user-friendly interface will walk you through every detail, step-by-step.