Political Content in the European Union
You can view available translations of this article by selecting a language in the bottom-right corner of this page. Translations are provided as a convenience, and are not meant to change the content of our policies. The English version will control and should be your reference in case of conflict between a translation and the English version.
Political Content includes political campaigning and issue advocacy advertising.
- Political campaigning ads are permitted in the European Union (EU) except in the following countries: Cyprus, Latvia, Lithuania, France, Hungary, and Portugal.
- Political campaigning ads for EU Parliamentary Elections ONLY must meet additional eligibility requirements and apply for certification.
- Issue advocacy ads are permitted without restriction except in France.
Political campaigning ads may only be promoted via the use of Promoted Tweets and In-Stream Video Ads; no other Twitter advertising products can be used at this time.
EU Parliamentary elections only.
Political campaigning ads refers to ads that fall under any of the criteria listed below:
- Ads purchased by a European or national political party,
- Ads purchased by a candidate registered with their corresponding national electoral authority, or
- Ads that advocate for or against a clearly identified candidate or party for European elections.
Political campaigning advertisers must go through Twitter’s certification process* and meet the following requirements:
- Profile photo, header photo, and website must be consistent with the handle’s online presence.
- Bio must include a website that provides valid contact info. Political parties and European Parliament candidates should indicate their European political party affiliation.
- If handle name is not related to the certified entity, the bio must include the following disclaimer: "Owned by [certified entity name]".
*Political advertisers will be required to provide additional information for Twitter to verify identity and location. Such information will be used for this sole purpose only.
- Political campaigning advertisers must comply with applicable laws regarding disclosure and content requirements, eligibility restrictions, spending limits, reporting requirements, and blackout dates for the countries where they advertise.
- Political campaigning advertisers can only use currencies from EU member countries where political campaigning is permitted.
Once certified, political campaigning advertisers will be prompted to use “Paid for by” disclaimers. Disclaimers must not be misleading and match website or certification application.