How to get exempted as a News Publisher from the Issue Ads Policy (US Only)
Per our Issue Ads Policy advertisements promoted by news publishers that meet the following criteria will not be identified as “Issue Ads”:
- The publication’s website has a minimum of 200,000 monthly unique visitors in the US.
- Contact information is available online.
- “About” information is available online.
- Dedicated reporter/editorial staff information is available online.
- The publication has a searchable archive available online.
- The publication is not primarily a user-generated or aggregated content platform.
- The publication is not dedicated to advocating on a single issue.
News publishers must self-identify and meet the above criteria for this exemption to apply.
To get started submit an application through the Ads Help Form. Note that you must have an advertiser account to get exempted.
What will I need to get exempted?
Entities applying for exemption must provide links to the following information:
- Link to contact information
- Link to “About” page
- Link to dedicated reporter/editorial staff
- Link to searchable archive
The publication’s website must have a minimum of 200,000 monthly unique visitors in the United States. We use data from third parties such as Alexa.com to help us assess monthly unique site visit numbers.
All news publishers applying for exemption will need to provide one or more handles from which they intend to run issue ads. News publishers can submit handles for affiliated reporters and journalists.
What are the additional eligibility requirements for handles?
In addition to complying with all general Twitter Ads policies, handles associated with the certified ads account must adhere to the following requirements:
- Profile photo, header photo, and website must be consistent with the handle’s online presence
- Bio must include a website that provides valid contact info
- If handle name is not related to the certified entity, the bio must include the following disclaimer: "Owned by [certified entity name]"
Affiliated reporter/journalist handles must also meet the following requirements:
- Profile includes journalist/publisher’s name.
- Bio discloses affiliation to news publisher and links to the publication’s website.
- Bio states they are a reporter/journalist.
- Reporter/journalist must be listed in their parent organization’s website.
What happens after I apply for exemption?
Upon completion and review of the application, we’ll notify you if the submitted handles meet the criteria and eligibility requirements outlined above. Once completed, you’ll be able to promote issue advertising from eligible handles without additional requirements. Non-exempted entities can apply for certification here.
Visit our Political campaigning policy FAQ page.