This policy applies to Twitter’s paid advertising products, which are Tweets, trends and accounts.
What's the policy?
Twitter restricts the promotion of and requires advertiser certification for ads that educate, raise awareness, and/or call for people to take action in connection with civic engagement, economic growth, environmental stewardship, or social equity causes. We have made this decision based on the following two beliefs:
- Advertising should not be used to drive political, judicial, legislative, or regulatory outcomes; however, cause-based advertising can facilitate public conversation around important topics.
- Advertising that uses micro-targeting presents entirely new challenges to civic discourse that are not yet fully understood.
What are the restrictions?
In addition to complying with all other Twitter Ads Policies, including our Political Content policy, all advertisers must complete our advertiser certification process and abide by the following restrictions:
- Targeting is restricted and limited to geo, keyword, and interest targeting. No other targeting types are allowed, including tailored audiences.
- Geo-targeting may only happen at the state, province, or region level and above. Zipcode level targeting is not allowed.
- Keyword and interest targeting may not include terms associated with political content, prohibited advertisers, or political leanings or affiliations (e.g., “conservative,” “liberal,” “political elections,” etc.).
- Ads may not be run on behalf of or specifically reference people or entities who are prohibited from advertising under our Political Content policy.
- An ad’s landing page must not be directly linked to people or entities who are prohibited from advertising under our Political Content policy.
For-profit organizations that seek to run ads that educate, raise awareness, and/or call for people to take action in connection with these causes must also comply with the following additional restrictions:
- ads should not have the primary goal of driving political, judicial, legislative, or regulatory outcomes; and
- ads must be tied to the organization’s publicly stated values, principles, and/or beliefs.
Are there exemptions from this policy?
Government and supranational agencies and entities are not subject to geo-targeting restrictions as long as they comply with all other restrictions.
What other Twitter resources relate to this policy?
- Cause-based Advertising policy FAQs
- How to get certified as a cause-based advertiser
- Political Content policy
What do advertisers need to know about this policy?
Review our guidelines and make sure you understand the requirements for your brand and business. You are responsible for all your promoted content on Twitter. This includes complying with applicable laws and regulations regarding advertisements.
If you are an advertiser whose account or Tweets are under review and you would like to check on the status or request an expedited review, please log in to ads.twitter.com and file a support ticket using the Help button in the top right corner of your ads dashboard.