Drugs and Drug Paraphernalia
You can view available translations of this article by selecting a language in the bottom-right corner of this page. Translations are provided as a convenience, and are not meant to change the content of our policies. The English version will control and should be your reference in case of conflict between a translation and the English version.
This policy applies to Twitter’s paid advertising products.
What's the policy?
Twitter prohibits the promotion of drugs and drug paraphernalia.
Examples of drugs and drug paraphernalia include:
- Illegal drugs
- Recreational and herbal drugs
- Accessories associated with drug use
- Drug dispensaries
- Depictions of hard drug use
How does this policy vary from country to country?
This is a global prohibition, with the exception of limited cannabis advertising in Canada. See below for more details.
We permit approved cannabis advertisers to target Canada, subject to the following restrictions:
- Advertisers must be licensed by Health Canada and pre-authorized by Twitter
- Advertisers may only promote informational or brand-preference content
- Advertisers may only target jurisdictions in which they are licensed to promote these products or services online. For example, advertisers may not promote such content online in Quebec or to Quebec residents
- Advertisers are responsible for complying with all laws and regulations. In general, advertisers are prohibited from promoting cannabis content:
- by communicating information about cannabis price or distribution;
- by doing so in a manner that there are reasonable grounds to believe could be appealing to young persons (anyone under 18);
- by means of testimonial or endorsement, however displayed or communicated;
- by means of depiction of a person, character or animal, whether real or fictional; or
- by presenting cannabis or any of its brand elements in a manner that associates it or the brand element with, or evokes a positive or negative emotion about or image of, a way of life such as one that includes glamour, recreation, excitement, vitality, risk or daring.
- Contact Twitter if you are interested in this option.
What do advertisers need to know about this policy?
Review our guidelines and make sure you understand the requirements for your brand and business. You are responsible for all your promoted content on Twitter. This includes complying with applicable laws and regulations regarding advertisements.
If you are an advertiser whose account or Tweets are under review and you would like to check on the status or request an expedited review, please log in to ads.twitter.com and file a support ticket using the Help button in the top right corner of your ads dashboard.