- Infographic: Holiday shopping on Twitter
- 4 things to Tweet about this Halloween
- 5 influencer marketing myths holding your growth strategy back
- What businesses around the world can learn from Japan
- Device and conquer: Global consumers let their fingers do the shopping
- 5 ways marketers are building better brands
- 5 ways to increase your Tweet engagements with emojis
- 4 steps that drive success with personal branding
- How to create and use hashtags
- How valuable are your followers?
- 3 ways to tap into trending topics on Twitter
- How to: Advanced search on Twitter
- How Quick Promote can get you noticed on Twitter
- See successful followers campaigns
- Top hashtags and keywords to use for Halloween
- 4 ways businesses can use Twitter Polls
- How to get your Twitter profile ready for the holidays
- The holiday marketing calendar you need
- How a retail company increased holiday sales with Twitter
- Have your holiday questions answered by the experts
- How a startup found success with Twitter Ads
- 6 things to Tweet about this Thanksgiving
- What to Tweet about this fall
- How to use Twitter to increase foot traffic
- How to prepare your business for Cyber Monday
- How to tap into mobile trends and increase in-store holiday purchases
- How to create stand-out Twitter Ads this holiday season
- Small Business Saturday checklist: How to get your business ready
- Top hashtags and keywords to use for Thanksgiving 2016
- The top 10 trends driving marketing in 2017
- See how to reply to customers on Twitter
- #TweetHour recap: How to stand out during the holidays
- What to Tweet this winter holiday season
- How to: Make a Twitter Moment that shows off your year
- 5 tips to make your holiday promotions stand out
- How to incorporate video into your content strategy
- See how to Tweet about gift giving holidays
- Recap: Twitter Ads experts answer your campaign questions
- Top hashtags and keywords to use to bring in 2017
- 4 ways to use the New Year to promote your business
- Our favorite articles of 2016
- 10 tips for choosing the best graphic designer
- 3 ways to create a consistent visual brand on Twitter
- 10 tips for launching your first mobile app marketing campaign
- How to plan for success in 2017
- Periscope tips: a conversation with @BoopFashionista
- 5 ways to step up your brand in 2017
- How to do influencer marketing right in 2017
- Customer journey mapping: What you must know
- The secret to more effective paid campaigns? Better organic content.
- How to manage your Twitter Ads campaigns with Flightly
- February lineup: Your essential marketing calendar for the month
- #TweetHour recap: Building your personal brand
- What to Tweet this Valentine's Day
- 4 do's and don't's of Twitter images
- Want to build strong influencer relationships? Focus on ease and value
- Top hashtags and keywords to use for Valentine's Day
- Tips for entrepreneurs: A conversation with Larry Kim
- Courting an influencer
- 8 ways to energize your B2B content marketing strategy
- Interviewing marketing freelancers? Ask these 6 questions
- March lineup: Key dates to help plan your marketing campaigns
- Hidden Twitter tricks from a social media manager: the media library
- How brands can reach a second screen audience
- Meet the awareness campaign
- 6 things to Tweet this spring
- Spring clean your Twitter profile
- How better quality whitepapers can improve lead generation
- Top hashtags and keywords to use this spring
- It's now easier to manage the payments and billing of your Twitter Ads
- 5 Periscope tips for your brand
- #TweetHour recap: How to leverage influencer marketing trends
- How to use Tweet threads
- 5 tips for writing effective Twitter Ads copy
- How to use Periscope 360 for your brand
- How to spread your message with the awareness objective
- April lineup: Key dates to help plan your marketing campaigns
- 5 things to Tweet this Easter
- How to create evergreen content with lasting engagement
- What micro-influencers can do for your brand
- The psychology of shareable content
- Top hashtags and keyword to use for Easter
- 7 tricks to produce content on a budget
- Data-driven tips for B2B marketers on Twitter
- What is relationship marketing?
- Mobile shopping doesn't mean skipping the store
- Content marketing myths that businesses need to stop believing
- How to fill holes in your content calendar
- Are you ready to handle your next company crisis on Twitter?
- Who to follow for National Small Business Week
- Is your marketing strategy protected against changing buyer behavior?
- 6 articles to help you craft your Twitter strategy
- How to start a content marketing campaign with no money
- How to make announcements on Twitter that build engagement
- Twitter named one of the top trusted brands for social and digital marketing
- May lineup: Key dates to help plan your marketing campaigns
- 4 must-read articles for lean marketing teams
- What you can learn from your agency's social media feed
- 4 articles to help your brand succeed with smart design
- 5 things to Tweet this Mother's Day
- Top hashtags and keywords to use for Mother's Day
- 6 things to Tweet when attending a conference
- How to choose your hero stat
- Why goals matter to influencer marketing success
- 5 interesting ways to share your brand story
- 5 tips for more effective influencer marketing
- 5 things to Tweet this June
- Why you should focus on native and video advertising
- 7 tips for creating engaging content every day
- Before you hire a video production team, answer these important questions
- June lineup: Key dates to help plan your marketing campaigns
- Top hashtags and keywords to use this June
- Hidden Twitter tricks from a social media manager: Tweet scheduling
- 3 ways brands can harness video on Twitter
- How to use Twitter analytics to plan more impactful Tweets
- 5 things to Tweet this Father's Day
- 5 tips for responding to customer mentions on Twitter
- Is your company giving video the love it deserves?
- Top hashtags and keywords to use for Father's Day
- What people want out of video content
- 3 ways to incorporate video into your everyday content
- Brand yourself — personal branding for business owners
- #TweetHour recap: How to incorporate video on Twitter
- 3 data-driven, engagement boosting ideas for lifestyle brands
- Need Tweet ideas? Here are 6 things to Tweet this July
- Repurposing your influencer marketing content for maximum value
- 5 data-driven tips for scroll stopping video
- Short video content: Creating a strategy for snackable videos
- July lineup: Key dates to help plan your marketing campaigns
- Top hashtags and keywords to use this July
- #TweetHour recap: How to produce engaging video
- Video success story: MailChimp
- Need blog post ideas for your business?
- Creative, less-than-obvious ideas to promote your whitepaper on Twitter
- 3 reasons videos capture Twitter's mobile audience
- How do I create a blog editorial calendar that works?
- How to tighten up your content marketing strategy during a slow summer
- How to improve your Direct Message conversations with customers
- 7 articles to help you craft the perfect Twitter Video strategy
- How ClassPass does customer service replies
- 7 blog post ideas that will engage your readers every time
- August lineup: Key dates to help plan your marketing campaigns
- 6 tips for nailing your chatbot content strategy
- How to create personas and map content to the buyer journey
- 6 PR trends to check out in 2018
- 5 demand generation problems B2B marketers should be prepared for
- Organize your Twitter strategy around content pillars
- Artificial Intelligence: Terms marketers need to know
- Get help with Twitter Ads
- How often should I publish content? Content marketers on their cadences
- How to promote your Twitter chat
- 5 Twitter content formats that influence purchase behavior
- Customer care: 7 ways to provide stellar customer service on social media
- September lineup: Key dates for Twitter marketers
- Defining your brand voice with Tweets
- Q&A: HelloFresh's Sr. Social Media Manager shares tips on developing your social strategy
- 10 creative ways to repurpose your data visualizations
- August roundup: Creative Tweet examples and marketing campaigns
- The do's and don’ts of hashtags
- Email marketing strategies to drive ROI
- How to align Twitter content to your marketing objectives
- A thank you to our community
- Q&A: How fashion start-up Rothy's uses Twitter to drive brand awareness
- How to say more with short Tweets
- 3 reasons content is still king in the age of influencer marketing
- Get to know your followers with Twitter audience insights
- The 6 essential elements of an effective marketing strategy
- October lineup: Key dates for Twitter marketers
- Everything you need to know about Twitter Moments
- 3 ways to build a brand narrative with short-form content
- September roundup: Creative Tweet examples and marketing campaigns
- 7 key steps to choosing the right social media influencer
- Q&A: How Sticker Mule creates Tweets that drive engagement
- The most important media and PR trends for 2018
- How to build an editorial calendar that gets results
- 5 brands that created Tweets for omni-channel marketing campaigns
- How to use GIFs to strengthen your brand
- 9 ways to turn ebooks into fresh content
- 3 things to consider when planning your 2018 ad budget
- Create a successful content marketing strategy
- Do you have a goal for your marketing email
- 5 effective ways conference presenters can use Twitter
- Content Marketing Institute shares blogging tips for B2B marketers
- Q&A: How InVision uses Twitter Ads for event marketing
- 7 ways to create Tweets that support your omni-channel marketing
- November lineup: Key dates for Twitter marketers
- The pros and cons of AI in marketing
- The state of B2B content marketing 2018: Top stats and takeaways
- The power of branded illustrations and animation in content marketing
- 3 ways your brand can start leveraging Video Website Cards
- Creative roundup: Standout video campaigns from brands on Twitter
- Buffer shares how the role of a social media manager is evolving
- Budget series pt. 1: How to determine your paid social media budget for 2018
- Q&A: How a mobile app increases downloads with Twitter Ads
- 6 tips for a successful 2018 content strategy
- Gated vs. ungated: What content marketing pieces generate leads?
- Small Business Saturday 2017 checklist: 4 ways to get your business ready
- How to use content marketing tactics for internal communications
- Introducing Twitter Promote Mode
- 6 things you need to know to craft a compelling client Twitter strategy
- Learn how to create better Tweets with the Twitter Assistant
- Public relations trends: PR with visuals
- 2018 marketing predictions from the C-Suite
- Budget series pt. 2: How to allocate your paid social budget
- Simply Measured shares their social media listening tips
- Q&A: The marketing team behind @SimonBooks shares tips on creating impactful organic and paid content
- How to split the workload with your creative content agency
- December lineup: Key dates for Twitter marketers
- Budget series pt. 3: How to ask for more paid social budget
- How to encourage user-generated content for your brand on Twitter
- 4 tips for providing effective customer support on Twitter
- 4 recurring hashtag trends that will make your Tweets more impactful
- 7 ways to maximize your online marketing budget
- How to get the most ROI from your branded content
- 5 brands that effectively use Twitter share their tips
- The secret to an effective hashtag campaign
- How to prove your content marketing success to your boss
- 5 articles to help your brand craft a 2018 marketing strategy
- 4 ways to build your thought leadership influence on Twitter
- UX and SEO best practices for multimedia content
- Evernote shares tips for getting organized in the new year
- Is your content creating the emotional connection your audience needs?
- January 2018 lineup: Key dates for Twitter marketers
- Q&A: How B2B brand Airtable sees success on Twitter
- Boost your website traffic with these 3 social media tips
- Insider tips for creating a Twitter marketing strategy
- 7 useful insights you can learn from Twitter analytics
- 6 ways social media managers can deliver a great Twitter experience
- 7 research-backed ways to connect with Gen Z on Twitter
- How to measure demand generation: 13 expert tips
- February 2018 lineup: Key dates for Twitter marketers
- How to use social listening to leverage customer conversations
- Beyond vanity metrics: 4 ways to track how your Tweets are performing
- How to measure brand awareness: 4 key steps
- Q&A: A CMO's insight on using Twitter for establishing thought leadership
- Branding and brand marketing, defined
- AI is changing marketing as we know it, and that's a good thing
- Millennials, AI and transparency: 10 predictions for 2018
- 6 ways marketers can use Twitter Polls
- 5 marketing metrics that don't mean what you think they do
- How a competitive audit can give your brand a leg up
- Creative roundup: Examples of brands using 280 character Tweets
- How Tweeting can help you write better blog posts
- March 2018 lineup: Key dates for Twitter marketers
- Q&A: Justworks' Social Media Manager shares tips on creating a B2B social strategy
- 12 things you need to craft a content strategy that really works
- 4 tips for creating consumer-centric content
- How to use competitive intel to make your Twitter account stand out
- 4 tips for brands Tweeting during major live events
- Q&A: DoorDash's Social Media Manager shares his Twitter tips
- Guest posting 101: Why guest posting is one of the best blogger outreach practices to use
- 4 ways authenticity can upgrade your content marketing
- 3 ways healthcare brands use Twitter to improve health
- How to find a balance between quality and quantity in content marketing
- Getting started with Twitter Ads: 3 questions to consider
- Are your social campaigns infused with a brand persona?
- Use word-of-mouth data to drive creative content campaigns
- When content marketing turns smart: How data can help creativity
- 3 ways to ensure the long-term success of your content marketing strategy
- April 2018 lineup: Key dates for Twitter marketers
- Creative roundup: 4 brands that take Twitter customer service to the next level
- The 7 biggest secrets of social media influencers
- A journalist's 12 tips to writing content
- Make it live, make it lively: How Periscope powers brands
- How agency Bloomerang Solutions expanded its services with Sprout Social Chatbots
- How to get started with data-driven storytelling
- How to use Twitter for social selling
- 5 standout examples of agencies on Twitter
- How to develop a Direct Message strategy to connect with customers
- Q&A: UK publisher Pan Macmillan shares their Twitter Ads tips
- May 2018 lineup: Key dates for Twitter marketers
- 5 ways to use video to have conversations
- Creative roundup: UK brands on Twitter
- Q&A: Creative agency NAIL shares their Twitter tips
- Tips on writing for email vs. writing for social media
- 7 tips for a kickoff meeting with your remote agency
- What to Tweet: 6 ways to get unstuck when you're out of Tweet ideas
- Guide: How to create a social media crisis management plan
- Creative roundup: 6 ways brands use Twitter for HR and recruiting
- How to use event targeting on Twitter
- June 2018 lineup: Key dates for Twitter marketers
- Q&A: How an e-commerce brand created a community on Twitter
- From campus tours to live lectures: Tips for Universities marketing on Twitter
- 5 ways to connect with Twitter sports fans during the 2018 FIFA World Cup
- 6 best practices for In-Stream Video Ads on Twitter
- What Twitter KPIs should you be tracking?
- Define your “why” for Twitter success
- 4 things to consider when building your brand’s Twitter strategy
Q&A: University of Manchester shares their advice on Twitter for universities
Arrow down icon
- July 2018 lineup: Key dates for Twitter marketers
- 6 tips for creating standout Twitter Ads
- 5 ways to find and hone your brand voice
- An easy way for agencies to manage multiple Twitter Ads accounts
- Building a B2B communications strategy around owned, earned, paid and shared
Q&A: University of Manchester shares their advice on Twitter for universities
With such a broad collection of audiences to reach and a large team of internal stakeholders involved how do you manage a fully aligned, effective Twitter strategy for a University?
We chatted to Alistair Beech, Senior Social Media Coordinator at @OfficialUoM, to learn more about the approach they take at The University of Manchester.
Tell us a bit about yourself.
I’m Alistair, a digital communications specialist with over ten years experience including five years in Higher Education. I work with social media practitioners across campus to encourage coordination and share best practice, maximising engagement with our key audiences and supporting the University’s core goals.
Tell us a bit about The University of Manchester.
Part of the prestigious Russell Group of universities, The University of Manchester is one of the largest universities in the UK, and was the first of England’s civic universities. We have 25 Nobel Prize winners among our current and former staff and students, and our history of brilliant breakthroughs includes the first stored-program computer and discovery of the atomic nucleus.
In short, the university is an incredibly inspiring place to work!
How does Twitter fit into your marketing mix?
We use Twitter to engage with many different audiences, including students (prospective and current), staff, alumni, and wider stakeholders (local, national and international). Twitter allows us to gather feedback on University campaigns, student or staff initiatives, and amplify our world-class research within key audience groups.
In addition to driving engagement with the University's news and research stories, Twitter also helps us connect with our audiences on a one-to-one basis. Followers connect with us on Twitter to share their experiences, offer feedback, and alert us to issues affecting them. Twitter is an invaluable listening tool for an organisation of our size.
What are a few Tweet examples that you think really capture your character?
We’ve started to use threads to draw audiences into a story, rather than tell them everything in one Tweet. For example, we recently announced new funding for a gallery at the Jodrell Bank Observatory, which is part of the University. Through a series of Tweets published over four hours, we were able to share artist’s impressions of the facilities, a live video of the announcement from the Prime Minister Theresa May and links to information about the University’s research beacons. We love how threads can be updated and re-shared, so we added content from a news article produced by our Media Relations Team a few days later to round off the story.
Students and staff are our biggest brand advocates and many produce fantastic content that showcases life at the University. For example, we recently published an online photo album showing proud students with a copy of their dissertation on hand-in day. We used Twitter to gather submissions, gain permission to repurpose content, and congratulate students on their achievements.
How do you plan and create Twitter Ads that will resonate with your target audiences?
On Twitter we’re predominantly targeting academics and researchers at other institutions. We work closely with our academics to identify stories that will resonate with our target audiences, and then we task our design team to bring these stories to life. We normally choose to promote research that has real-world impact because we’ve found this kind of content is much more emotive and engaging.
We’re able to target these adverts by selecting academic influencers with larger follower bases and through the use of specific hashtags relating to academic conferences. Together these two methods have been highly effective in creating strong campaigns. We believe this is mainly down to being able to engage Twitter users with relevant content in a timely fashion.
What results have you seen with Twitter Ads?
Our Twitter Ads campaigns have typically outperformed all of our other digital campaigns and have generally exceeded our expectations. We’ve found video view campaigns particularly effective on Twitter, with average view rates over 50% and a low average cost-per-view. We’ve also found website clicks or conversions campaigns effective, driving traffic to key research beacon’s webpages.
What’s something you’ve tested on Twitter to engage with your target audiences that you’re proud of?
Video is an increasingly important part of how the University communicates with key audiences, and this year we’ve implemented a new style of video storytelling through social media. Using a square format (1:1), we have produced a series of 60-second videos to accompany news and research stories. Published natively via Twitter Media Studio, the videos use photography and video content from our research teams and include text descriptions so users can watch without sound.
A recent example focused on research into the movement of predatory spiders, which our scientists believe could help design micro-robots. We combined high-speed, high-resolution camera footage with text descriptions to demonstrate a spider’s movement and behaviour. The video had an average watch time of 15 seconds, which is three times longer than our average standard video format (16:9) watch time.
How do you engage with students around clearing?
During the clearing and adjustment period we use Twitter to help ensure The University of Manchester is front of mind for undergraduate students receiving exam results and considering university choices. We monitor keyword search terms to spot opportunities to engage with prospective students and deliver tailored content, such as blogs from our student content ambassadors and key information like clearing hotline numbers and course availability.
We also manage brand campaigns around clearing which promote the University’s academic expertise and outstanding student experience. Branded content including videos, blog posts and tips and advice are shared to prospective students and other key audiences (such as parents) during the clearing and adjustment period. During clearing itself, our Twitter channels are staffed by dedicated advisers trained to answer questions about life at university and course-specific queries.
What makes Twitter different from other platforms?
It’s the most real-time social media platform out there. It’s likely we’ll be alerted to an issue at the University on Twitter before any other platform. It’s also home to a range of diverse audiences, from local communities to international academic groups.
Any final tips for other universities on Twitter?
Put time into it. Publishing regular content, monitoring keywords and sentiment can be resource intensive, but they can provide a more meaningful connection with your audiences. Diarise regular (daily, if possible) time periods where you listen and engage.
Vary your content. Try out different types of content, such as native video, audio, and GIFs, and see what types of content your audiences respond to best. Work and learn from other social media practitioners across your institution about what works for them on Twitter.
Understand your followers. Don’t be surprised if large numbers of your student population don’t always engage with your content. Lots of users lurk around or only get in touch when they need something. This is the nature of Twitter for many users – they’ll use it to resolve or highlight issues. If you listen and engage, they’re more likely to engage with your content when the time comes.